A passport is a travel document, usually issued by a country’s government, which certifies the identity and nationality of its holder primarily for the purpose of international travel. They have a validity of 5 or 10 years depending on the age.
A passport is used to verify one’s country of citizenship. If traveling outside your country, it is used to regain entry into your country of citizenship.
Passports are small booklets that typically contain the bearer’s name, place of birth, date of birth, the date of issue, date of expiry, passport number, photo and signature.
Types of passport
As seen in the image, there are three types of Indian Passport. Regular for citizens to travel for personal or business purposes.
Official passport for government officers on duty. Diplomatic passport for government diplomats on international travel.
Different country passports have different value in the world. Basically value of a passport is calculated on the following basis. The number of countries where this passport does not require any visa to travel. The traveler gets on arrival visa. The value keeps on changing and so the global ranking.
1) Documents required for new passport
1) Important Documents Needed for a Fresh Passport
Address proof – These are the documents that can be submitted as address proof for Passport.
Voter ID with present address
- Aadhaar card
- Telephone bill with current address
- Gas connection
- Bank passbook
- Rental agreement (If staying in a rented house)
- Income Tax Assessment order
- Water bill or Electricity bill with current address
- Certificate from employer on a letterhead with a seal and signature
- Passport of the spouse
- Parents’ passport
Age proof – These are the documents that can be submitted as age proof for passport
- Birth certificate issued by municipal authority or some other authorized office
- School leaving certificate/Secondary school leaving certificate
- Certificate sworn before a magistrate
2) Important Documents Required for a Minor Passport
- If parents wish to get passport for minors, the following documents need to be produced.
- Current address proof in the name of the parent(s)
- Original and self-attested copies of the parents’ passport
- Documents of the minor will have to be attested by parents.
- Until the minor is 18 years old, he/she will be eligible for Non-ECR passport wherein Emigration check is not required.
- A Declaration confirming the details mentioned in the application about the minor applicant.
3) Important Documents Required for a Diplomatic Passport
- A valid identity card of the applicant or that of the Head of Office
- A certificate that has been issued by the Head of Office
- An Official Request Letter from the Forwarding Officer
- PMO or Political Clearance Certificate, if needed
4) Important Documents Required for a Existing Passport
- Printed copy of online filled application form
- Political or PMO clearance
- Copy of identity card
- Certificate from the Head of Office
- Request from a Forwarding Officer
- Other necessary documents